Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
From January 26th - 28th, Oxfam Great Britain will be hosting a Regional Livelihoods and Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop in Montego Bay, Jamica.
Representatives from academia, UN agencies, NGOs and, local and regional organizations, including ECTAD/CaFAN, will gather to discuss problems and exchange best practice knowledge for Disaster Risk Reduction in small-scale agriculture. Ms. Renortha Penny of Grenada will be representing ECTAD/CaFAN during this three-day engagement.
Specific areas of discussion will include:
Disaster risk assessment in the agricultural sector
1. Promotion of long-term disaster risk reduction (DDR)
2. Technical intervention for enhanced (DDR and agricultural measures)
3. Socio-economic measures
4. Sector specific infrastructural measures
1. Training and awareness raising
2. Contingency planning
3. Linking early warning systems with agricultural sector needs
4. Protective measures and household level preparedness
Oxfam GB has been working for more than 10 years in the Caribbean region on agriculture development, food security and disaster risk reduction, through a variety of programs.